International Women's Day is just around the corner, and for sure many of you are already thinking about what kind of manicure to do on March 8th. I suggest you pay attention to the hot trend of this season - tortoiseshell nails.
Over the past few years, we have seen dozens of 90s trends come back into fashion, and animal print is no exception.
While in our wardrobes there are more and more things that are decorated with an active leopard or snake print, the world's fashionistas are already in full swing inspired by another animal - the sea turtle. Or rather, her shell. :)
The color of the tortoiseshell is quite familiar to us from spectacle frames, jewelry and even cats.
The color scheme was so fond of girls from all over the world that such a color made its way into the world of beauty. First appeared tortoiseshell hair coloring, with honey, caramel and copper shades - ideal for brown-haired women.
Now the pattern has appeared on the nails and, in my opinion, such a manicure looks simply gorgeous. It is not for nothing that beauty bloggers call tortoiseshell nails one of the most important manicure trends of 2019.
As you and I already know very well, social media is the springboard for all new trends, especially in the field of beauty or makeup. And it was instagram that breathed new life into the tortoise print, and transferred this effect to neil art. At the moment, the network already has a huge number of photos with this original manicure under the hashtag #tortoiseshellnails.
Tortoiseshell nails leave room for imperfections and this is why this design is great for beginners. Unlike other hot trends this season, you can do tortoiseshell nails at home.
How to do a tortoiseshell manicure
- First, apply a base coat
- Then coat your nails with a layer of brown polish.
- Apply a thin layer of yellow polish over the brown finish. This layer is the foundation of your manicure. To create the tortoise shell effect on your nails, you need to be quick: the paint must still be damp when you apply the rest of the colors! Otherwise, the colors won't mix, and instead of a turtle, you'll get a leopard at best (which, in general, is also not bad :) ).
- Lightly apply dark brown strokes to the nail plate - you can even use a regular nail polish brush, as the strokes or spots should not be clear.
- To create a "shine" effect, apply clear varnish over the design. Don't be too careful - let the clear polish wash out all the colors a bit. At this point, you may think that the manicure looks messy, but trust me, in the end you will be happy with the result.
- Apply small black dots and again lightly smudge them with a brush
- Fix the result with a top coat
Don't settle for the standard tortoiseshell color on all nails, as once you've mastered the basic technique, other interpretations of the design will become available to you. It can be nail accents and negative space, and the use of foil - the choice is limited only by your imagination.
I suggest you take a closer look at the top turtle manicure designs, and do not forget to bookmark the most interesting ones. :)
The original version of tortoiseshell nails, using a small golden stripe separating. This design is interesting because the gold not only draws the eye to the nails due to its brilliance, but also accentuates the eye-catching tortoiseshell print.
Instead of going for a tortoiseshell design on all your nails, bet on the contrast and paint a few nails with a matte black finish.
Even more gold
If this precious metal was not enough for you in the version of the tortoiseshell manicure with a gold stripe, you can additionally decorate your nails with pieces of foil. Such an abundance of gold adds a special chic to tortoiseshell nails.
This nail design will not only show how up to date you are with the latest manicure trends, but also emphasize your femininity, thanks to the abundance of soft pink color on the nails. And look how well it combines with the tortoiseshell color!
Tortoiseshell nails are another great animal print manicure option. The only difference is that this design looks much more chic and sophisticated. And that's exactly what we need! Be healthy and beautiful! :)